How Often Should You Wash or Shampoo Your Hair?
Many of our DHI India customers and followers ask us how often they should wash their hair. It is a question worth debating, for which you can find various answers. And it is not easy to find the perfect hair-wash schedule on the internet. However, knowing the factors that define your hair requires a quick wash, and the science behind hair health is essential.
We have combined the information to help you make the right hair-washing decisions.
What factors define how often you should wash your hair?
Grim and dirt in hair can lead to hair fall and other scalp conditions. If you notice persistent hair fall, visit a clinic to look for suitable hair fall treatments. And to determine that your hair needs a good cleanup, consider the following factors:
1. Type of Hair: Hair is of different types; it could be curly, wavy, or straight. Wavy and curly hair has a thick texture and is generally dry. Therefore, the oil does not coat the strands easily on them. In comparison, straight hair is thin and could easily be covered with sebum. As a result, they become greasy very quickly. Therefore, straight, and thin hair must be washed up more frequently than curly and thick hair.
Overwashing your hair without considering the type can damage them and cause hair loss. And if that, too, is done with harsh shampoo, it could create even more significant problems. So, get the right shampoo for your hair type and wash them as per the instructions on the bottle.
2. Physical Dirt: Stepping out of the home means that your hair is encountering dirt, dust, and pollen. Even involvement in gardening, cleaning, and other messy tasks can define wash time because you are in direct contact with dirt and pollutants. And when not washed adequately or regularly, they may get trapped in your hair for a longer time, making them dull and weak. Even they can cause hair fall, allergies, and dandruff. Therefore, shampooing is required.
3. Oil: Hair becomes oily when they are not washed for a longer time. It is an indication from your scalp that it requires a wash. And when not done so, it can make your hair limp and clumsy. However, oil secretion on your scalp depends on age, sex, environment, and genetics. Even people noticing oily scalps now could struggle with drier scalps when they grow old. Therefore, saying that this factor changes with time will not be wrong. Still, seeing too much oil at any stage can be worse, and relevant action is required here.
4. Sweat is another factor that can damage your hair and lead to hair fall. It can spread sebum on your scalp, making your hair look and feel dirty. Even your hair can get a weird odor if they are sweaty. These are common issues for people who work out a lot or wear a helmet for an extended period. Therefore, DHI India recommends that you should shampoo your hair whenever you feel your hair are sweaty. Do not let them dry independently, as it may increase the problem.
5. Styling Products: In today’s time, people have become more aware of their appearance, and they always desire to get a perfect look. And here, hair plays a significant role. So, they tend to style their hair using styling creams, gels, sprays, and other products. However, constant usage of these products can lead to scalp irritation and unwanted damage. These products may also build up on your hair and don’t disappear unless you wash your scalp up. So, if you are using styling products on your hair, remove them properly after returning to your home.
Hair Care Tips by DHI to get Beautiful Hair:
- Apply shampoo when your hair is wet to see the best results.
- Pour a tablespoon of shampoo on your palm and apply a thin layer of it across your hair.
- Massage well on every corner of your scalp, especially the nape and hairline, as they trap most of the dirt.
- Use your fingers to massage your scalp; avoid using nails as they might scratch you badly.
- Avoid rubbing their ends together if you do not want your hair to get tangled.
- Massage your scalp correctly for 30 seconds and then rinse them properly.
- If you are washing your hair daily, make sure to choose a shampoo that is designed for daily use.
- To get the best results from your wash, consider getting the perfect shampoo, depending on your hair type.
How to select shampoo for your hair?
The best and only way to select the right shampoo is to consider your hair type. Here is the DHI India advice:
1. Fine Hair: Fine hair attracts more oil and is greasy. Therefore, picking a shampoo designed for the same hair type or one appropriate for everyday use is suggested. There is a myth that shampooing daily can make your hair dry; in reality, using high-quality shampoo with conditioner can remove extra oil and make your hair feel fresh and healthy.
2. Medium Hair: People with medium hair do not have to face many problems and can pick any shampoo but choosing the one as per your daily routine could offer better results. Dirt and sweat are typical problems to conquer, so pick the shampoo that offers proper cleanliness. Again, shampooing every other day can help to keep this type of hair clean.
3. Dry Hair: Dry hair does not become greasy very quickly and does not fall flat when not washed for a longer time. But when bathed in the wrong way or with the wrong shampoo, they can become drier, rough, and more challenging to manage. Therefore, whenever washing your hair, focus on removing impurities and oil buildup. Choose the shampoo specially designed for dry hair and use it at least two times a week.
If you have a sensitive scalp, you need dermatologically tested shampoos with the right ingredients. At DHI India, we offer specially designed shampoos and conditioners for every hair type while keeping common hair problems in mind. To shop for the most suitable shampoo and conditioner for yourself, visit https://shop.dhiindia.com/collections/shampoos.
Lastly, if you notice any sign of itching or irritation on your scalp, initial signs of hair loss, or hair thinning even after using appropriate shampoo, consult us. There might be other problems that could be diagnosed with DHI hair loss treatment.